Can you say SUN?!?! That’s what I saw when I first opened my eyes this morning! (Okay not first, the first time it was dark when R was leaving for work – the second time the sun was actually up.) After a full week of cloudy, rainy weather it was quite the nice surprise! I think that will be the great thing about having a rainy winter season – I will appreciate the sun much, MUCH more when it decides to peak out. Unlike when I was in Arizona and all we wanted was a day that was not 85 and sunny so we could just sit around on the couch and not feel bad about it – ha!
R’s family is officially on their way here! And since today is my day off this week I am working on getting the apartment ready for visitors (i.e. laundry, vacuuming, actual cleaning…that sort of thing!) plus trying to get any errands done I need to before we head off to Seattle on Friday. R and I were going over all of our plans for the week, and MAN do we have a lot planned. It is going to be so great! I am also hoping (more like praying) that if I can keep up with my running that it will off-put some (keyword: some) of the eating I will be DEFINITELY doing. I mean…it’s THANKSGIVING!
So I mentioned this recipe like a million weeks ago it seems like, and I have FINALLY caught up with all the other things I needed to share. I think you will all be very excited about this one. I know that most of the recipes I have tried on here I label as easy and quick – and they are. But there is a significant difference between easy and stupid easy. This honey mustard chicken falls under the stupid easy category. And the best part? No one who eats it will be able to tell!
This recipe (titled originally Holy Yum Chicken and I understand why!) is originally from Table for Two. This blog is great, especially for people who are looking for recipes other than just paleo. A lot of recipes (from this blog and others) can be altered to follow paleo guidelines – it’s just about being creative! With that being said, this honey mustard chicken is actually COMPLETELY 100% paleo without any substitutions. Awesome!
Honey Mustard Chicken – I made a few slight changes based on things I had in the apartment, so check out the original link to see how it was initially made AND to see why you should follow the instructions
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder (or any thickening agent)
- 2 tsp. chives for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8×8″ oven-proof pan with 2 layers of tin foil.
- In small bowl, whisk together Dijon mustard, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts (pound to the same thickness if needed) in the foil layered pan then pour the mixture on top of it. Turn the chicken around in the sauce to make sure it gets all coated.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let chicken sit for 5 minutes then transfer to a plate. Do NOT discard the liquid.
- Immediately after plating chicken, whisk in the 1 tbsp. of arrowroot into the liquid in the pan. You’ll create a nice, thick sauce to drizzle over your chicken.
- Sprinkle chives on top before serving.
I am going to try and post another recipe before the weekend – but then I will be on hiatus until probably after Thanksgiving! Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday – and seriously, make this chicken!